Saturday, April 24, 2021


 This is my second attempt at And Oliver, one of the models on the 2019 series of Portrait Artist of the Year. I thought I might try and do the same models they have, one for each episode but I'm limited to screen grabs so don't get to choose my angle or pose really at all. So while this is, I think, accurate, it's not flattering. The point is to try and make something in the same time allotment as the contestants; four hours. I have no idea how digital media would go over on the show and whether or not I'd be required to have a physical print at the end of that time or not. Be a hell of a lot of equipment to lug if I did. Since I'm not British and will never be on the show, what does it matter? It's a good exercise.

The first version, which I'm not showing here, was in the current 'cut paper' style and just didn't work. I think it was all the harsh lines. Something about Andi's face needed a more organic approach, so I went back to the Procreate + Affinity style. This is the second version of that. The first was more naturally colored. I thought to try a more brightly colored, poster style as an alternative and decided I liked that one better. There's almost a kind of Warhol feeling to it? Which is fine. She's a lot lovelier than I paint her here. 

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

Four hours is not a lot of time! I think 5 hours is the shortest I ever finished something. This is more “rough” looking more brush stroke and natural media looking. You sure like that show!

T' said...

That show has been a huge inspiration to me. It's a kind competition show where everyone's polite and the level of the work is really high. For my general attention span, 4 hours is decent and doable, I just sometimes want some time to step away and you can't do that on the show. That being said, it's not like I'll ever be on it, not being British and all!

Behemoth media said...

Get a couple drinks in you and that British accent comes out and you will totally pass as legit!